Monday, April 19, 2004

Emperor Saltydog decrees: down with Mondays

Great weekend. Left work on Friday with my boss, and walked over to Penn Station with him. We had a friendly conversation. Just personal bullshitting I guess. Nice change of pace from work-talk. He was headed home to Jersey, and I was headed to Boston for the weekend. 5:40pm Amtrak. Though whether it has ever left Penn Station at 5:40 in its entire history, I wouldn't be so confident. This Friday was no different, and it left around 6:05. No worries though. I had my MP3 player with me, so I was happy. I can rot for hours as long as I have it with me. I'm such a simpleton.

Anyway, had a relaxing train ride up to Boston. Listened to music, read, and thought. Got to Boston around 10:00, where my girlfriend was waiting for me. So nice to have someone waiting for you. Especially when it's her.

We got to her parents' house a little while later, said hi to her folks, and got ready for bed. We were headed into the city early in the morning to look at an apartment. Through someone we know we might be able to rent this place for a reasonable price, and it would be ready for us when we are ready to move it, so we went to see it. It was pretty cool, and we're pretty excited about it. Then we spent the day cruising around Boston, enjoying the awesome weather. Checked out the area near Fenway, which was crawling with Red Sox fans. They were in the midst of a 4-game home series against the Yankees. I don't think I've ever seen so many Sox caps, shirts, etc.... It was very strange. Not just near Fenway, but all over the city. Maybe I've never paid attention on other trips, because on those trips I was not in the mindset of someone who is soon to become a Bostonian. But as a future NYC transplant, and a Yankees fan, this was pretty strange.

After walking around a bit, checking out the crowds on Newbury, Boylston, etc... we headed to my Friend's place over in Jamaica Plain. We haven't seen these friends since they got married about two years ago. Since then they moved into a new apartment in JP. So we went over there, checked out their place and caught up for a bit, then headed into JP proper (or "propa" as I should say) and had a really good Indian dinner. This was followed up with some ice cream at JP Lick's, a Boston ice cream chain that was started (you guessed it) in Jamaica Plain. It was good to see them, and to catch up, and it helped to remind me that I do have some good friends in Boston, which will make moving easier on me.

Sunday was a nice, lazy day. We slept in a bit. Had brunch with my girlfriend's parents (well, lunch for them, breakfast for us, so we'll split the difference). Then we took a drive to a shopping area in Braintree to do some very premature bed/bath/housewares browsing. Came away with some good ideas, and a couple of small, unrelated items from Marshalls. :-) Then we had dinner with my girlfriend's parents, and said goodbye to them. It was already time for me to go. Back on the train. The Sunday train, as has been my experience, was right on time. Always nice. 4 hours later, I was back in NYC. Great weekend.

Of course reality hit today. Busy day at work. Sad/stressful conversation with my brother about my parents' newly brewing divorce. And, of course, news from my boss that management doesn't think relocation will be possible for me. Damn.

As my uncle used to say "life is really meant to be lived as we live on the weekend".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home