Friday, August 20, 2004

Who's the big winner?

So timing is a bitch. Just as I move to Boston, and start to get settled in, Champy gets lured to New York. I can't really blame him. He's going to be working with Red and the Drummer Boy. We all used to work together in 1997/1998. It was a blast. And now they get to do it again. Long live Turkey Time!!! (Inside thing - don't worry about it.) It's really a great thing for Champy, and it should be a pretty good thing for H-Bomb. I know she's giving up a lot for this move, but so much good will come of it too. New job. New friends. New adventures. Hey, I'm going through it myself right now. It's not so bad.

Anyway, the point is that I need to take advantage of any chance we get to hang out, because they are splitting soon. So last night I got together with Champy and his friend G. They were at a bar in Central Square, where they both live. So after going to the gym with Pegg, I headed out to the bar to join them.

The bar was hosting a promotion. It was a joint promotion between a radio station and a drink company. You had to buy their brand of drink to enter the contest. If you had their drink in your hand, you could go up to their table and fill out an entry form. The prize was a trip to NYC for two to see the Red Sox play the Yankees, hotel accommodations and transportation included. Sweet prize. In addition, when you gave them your entry, you could take one thing from their schwag table. They had hats, t-shirts, etc... There was an XBOX game on the table too. I asked if that was up for grabs. They said sure, take it. So I was psyched right there. Free XBOX game just for doing what I was there to do - having a drink.

We hung out there for a while, because the grand prize winner was to be chosen at 10pm. Them emcee gets on the mike, gives his little promotional spiel, and announces the winner. It was me! Holy fucking shit! I won! I never win anything. What a sweet prize too! I was ecstatic. The emcee hands me the mike and I go "This is great! I just moved here from New York, and I'm a Yankees fan. Now I get a trip home, and I get to see the game too!"

The bar went silent. There were a few boos. One guy mumbled "good way to make friends". I pumped my fists into the air, and sat down again to finish my drink. "Screw you haters," I thought. "I'm the big winner."

1 Comments:

Blogger Someone I Used To Know said...

you are kidding me - you should have beaten in an alley for your yankees cheer.

:)

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home