Sunday, August 01, 2004

Broken Crate

In the last post I alluded to some time spent in the suburbs of Boston last week. I forgot to tell the best story from our time out there.

We are looking for a couple of small furniture items for our new apartment. We have been to stores that range from Pottery Barn to Target. (Yes, Target is the only store so far where we have purchased anything....) One of our stops was Crate & Barrel in the South Shore Plaza mall. They had some ok stuff there, but the price:quality ratio was too steep. Anyway, we're walking over to ask someone a question, and I see this comfy looking chair. I'm still a little kid in many ways, so I had to touch the surface of the comfy looking chair to see what it felt like.

Well, this comfy looking chair was not sitting squarely on its little display pedestal. One little rub of its cushion knocked its leg back the lone millimeter necessary to send the whole chair off balance. Good thing the stack of cocktail shakers was there behind it, to slow its fall. I got to watch in slow motion as about 50 of these shakers, and the 1-inch thick glass shelf used to stack them, came crashing down.

There is nothing quite so musical as the loud clanging of 50 metal objects paired with the crash of a glass shelf. The only thing louder than this was the "oh shit!" that I heard in my teeny, little brain.

As if this wasn't embarassing enough, Pegg later told me that while I was bending down to help the poor salespeople clean up, I had a little crack problem. That's right. Plumber's butt. The cherry on top of my embarassment sundae.

2 Comments:

Blogger Someone I Used To Know said...

Teeheeheee.

I learned the hard way why most stores have double doors.

Apparently, if they don't and you open the door at, say Urban Outfitters, and it is quite windy outside, the martini glass pyramid set up ten feet from the door can come toppling down.

Do you stay to shop or do you leave? I stayed. But, made conveniently loud comments like 'I can't believe the wind did that!'

5:57 PM  
Blogger saltydog said...

I stayed longer than necessary to help them pick up the shakers, and to make the point that I was anything _but_ embarassed. Then we slowly wandered out of the store. It was only after we made it through the doors of the store that the full wave of embarassment came crashing down on me.

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home