Monday, August 16, 2004

Canadian rock

Went to see Rush Thursday night at the Tweeter Center. Pegg's friend from her last job got us free tickets. It was pretty cool of him. I happened to briefly mention being somewhat of a Rush fan when we were out one night and Tom Sawyer came on. He remembered this, and hooked us up with the tickets.

The show was really good. It's their 30th Anniversary tour. They are pulling out all the hits. And I think they play the same set each night, so it should be tight.

Pegg got the most enjoyment out of their video footage, which happened to be very funny. Some of the clips had Jerry Stiller starring as a big Rush fan. Pegg's other favorite part was my comment that the audience there was perhaps the ugliest, grittiest audience of any show we had ever been to. We couldn't figure out if it was Rush, Massachusetts, or an unfortunate combination. We agreed that it was the combination.

Parking at the Tweeter center is a bitch, and it takes forever to work your way out of the lots in lines of traffic. Knowing this, and knowing that Pegg had to get up early the next day for work, we cut out before the encore. I had read that most of the encore was covers anyway, so this was an ok move. We got out in a reasonable amount of time, which was good considering the drive home sucked balls. It was pouring the entire ride home.

Oh yeah. Two observations about the Tweeter Center. First, beers cost $8. Fucking hell. Second, there was absolutely no security. None. They just scanned our tickets, and let us right in. No bag checking. No metal detector wands. NOTHING. Fucking hell.

3 Comments:

Blogger Someone I Used To Know said...

1. You left a show early??!?!?!? You are officially OOOOOOLLLLLLDDDDDD.

2. If I remember correctly, the Tweeter Center is in Mansfield, MA - aka nomansland. Security? Were you afraid Al-Qaeda was going to sneak in? They got nothing against Canadian rock. What did Getty Lee ever do to them? Or did you think some Rush fan was gonna bring in a switchblade? Are you kidding - sharp objects and mullets don't mix.

2:14 PM  
Blogger Someone I Used To Know said...

I did my research and I was right...Tweeter Center was once Great Woods Performing Arts Center (which has a much nicer ring to it). This is where I spent many a night - my first concert BON JOVI!!

Let's see, what else:

Sinead O'Connor
David Lee Roth (with Extreme and Poison I think)
Depeche Mode
Lollapalooza 1 and 2
B-52s
Ziggy Marley
New Order
Violent Femmes
The Cure
and more, but I'm old and can't remember...

good times, good times....

2:18 PM  
Blogger saltydog said...

I don't know what I was thinking. I guess I have just been used to post 9/11 NYC security. This seemed relatively lax, by comparison.

This was my third Great Woods show. The first two being back in camp: The Bangles, and some band I can't remember at the moment (but I can remember that the Smithereens opened for them). Yay! Manic Monday!

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home