Monday, June 07, 2004

Mini Weekend

So Friday's office fire didn't free me from work. My area of the building had power, so we were "lucky" enough to get back to work after lunch. Apparently there is another blogger at my company, and she fared better than I did on Friday. Oh well, such is life. Guess it's only fair to work for my money.

With office escapades done for the day, I clocked out around 5:15, and headed over to Penn Station to catch the usual train to Boston. Wasn't too late this time, which was nice. Pretty non-eventful train ride. Messed around on my laptop, read, listened to some music. Somewhere in Connecticut, I think, the sunset was unreal. I snapped a few pics of it, and would post them now, but I left my digicam with Pegg so she can use it this week. (That's right, Girlfriend is now to be known as Pegg. She didn't like my chosen moniker for her, and shall henceforth be known only as Pegg. OK?) So when I get the camera back, I will post the pics. Though by then, they won't be so relevant. But you'll look at them and think, "Yes, yes. Sunset from the train. Long long time ago. I remember."

Pegg picked me up from the train station, and we went back to her parents' place. Not sure if I ever explained this, but Pegg left NYC a couple of years ago to work with her family. She comes to NYC most weekends, and hadn't committed to staying in that job with them, so she was always staying with them during the week. So when I visit her there, we're obviously at her parents' place. Now that she has decided to stick with the job up there, I have decided to move up there so we can be together again all the time. We're getting a place together in Boston, hence the vague references to moving, working on my resume, Boston, etc.... in the annals of this blog. So there you go. Our Boston story. But I digress.

We went back to Pegg's parents' place, and I gave Pegg her birthday present. I got her an iPod Mini. It was a tough choice, between than and a regular iPod. And it was a tough choice for me to go iPod in the first place. I've been sort of anti-iPod for a while. I got myself a 40GB player from Creative. It was the best value for a 40GB player. Almost half the price of the 40GB iPod. And all the people with the white headphones on the subway, walking iPod commercials, they kill me. But, this was a gift. Would Pegg want my clunky Creative player? No. Would she want something sleek, and cute, and stylish? Of course. Could I hold a gift purchase to my messed up principles and rationale? Not if I wanted the recipient to be happy. So I sucked it up and decided that Pegg should have an iPod. But which one? I thought she'd like the sleek, compact cuteness of the Mini. I've been noticing more and more women with Minis on the subway. I can spot a trend. Then I thought about capacity. 4GB is not that much. About 1000 songs. That's about 100 albums. But then I thought about Pegg's music listening habits. She is not crazy like me, swapping things all the time. She finds something she likes, and listens to it for a while. I doubt she's listened to 100 different CDs over the last year or two. That clinched it. Mini made the most sense for a present. And she loved it.

The rest of the weekend was good. We went into Boston on Saturday to do some apartment stuff. Then we went shopping for a bit. Caught a nice lunch at Rock Bottom which is a pretty decent brew-pub chain. Nice step up from Friday's in the suburbia restaurant pecking order. Then we spent a lot of time ripping Pegg's CDs and loading up her Mini.

I forgot to mention that Pegg's cousin was visiting. He's studying out in California, but is in Boston for two weeks visiting them. So we decided to take him into the city yesterday, to show him around a bit. We hit some standard spots. Quincy Market/Fanueil Hall, Harvard Square, etc... It was fun, but it rained like hell. Made it back to the house in time for dinner, then whoosh, I was back to the train station. Weekends fly by so frigging quickly.

2 Comments:

Blogger PN said...

that's quite the coincidence. what floor are you on?

3:04 PM  
Blogger saltydog said...

Third floor. Would have thought we were close enough to the "hot zone" to have gotten the afternoon off...

5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home