Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Coloradeux

Here are some more pics from Colorado. I forgot to mention where we skied. Not everyone on the trip wanted to ski all the time, so most people did three or four days (out of six). I am a glutton for punishment, so I did five. I think Champy and P-Diddy did five as well, but I can't remember. Really, I needed to justify taking a week's vacation without Pegg, who is not much of a skier (yet) so she didn't come. If I'm going to fly somewhere to ski, then I want to ski dammit. Too bad the altitude and my out-of-shape legs didn't agree with me. Anyway, the first two days were at Breckenridge. Day three was at A-Basin. Day four was at Vail. And day five was back at Breckenridge, though we packed it in early because conditions sucked, and we were beat.

I loved A-Basin. Wide, open trails. Great conditions. Beautiful day. Vail was nice too, but it was a little too warm and slushy on the day we were there. Did a few back bowl runs, on the intermediate bowls, which was pretty cool. Cool at least until we hit the mud at the bottom. But bowls still can't be beat.

The first non-skiing highlight of the trip was probably the fried, stuffed avocado appetizer at one of the Mexican restaurants we tried. It was called Mi Casa, I think. Un-fucking-real. One is chicken stuffed, the other shrimp stuffed. We polished them off in record time. The other highlight happened to be Mexican in nature as well, and was the Endless Summer margarita at Rita's. Killer. Slayed us all.

Now, on with the pics.


Mmm. Lift runs are always scary. Didn't ski this one, but thought it was pretty awesome to look at.


Scenic view.


Hey! Is that your friendly neigborhood saltydog skiing a double black diamond?


Um, well, it was.


I'm ok! Really, nothing broken.


The previous pics don't do the trail justice, but they were taken on the East Wall at A-Basin. Pretty hairy double-black diamond, with ungroomed powder. Champy and I decided to try it after lunch, when we saw tons of people on the catwalk out to it. The wipe-out pictured happened when my right ski hit a buried rock. Not fun. Needless to say we only skied East Wall once. Then we came back to take pictures by the sign, so we could one day tell our kids how badass we were.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home